SANRAL Schools Campaign 2023
1. The promoters of the SANRAL Schools Campaign 2023 Competition (“the Competition”) are the South African National Roads Agency (“SANRAL”) and Strika
Communications (Pty) Ltd (called “the Promoters”, “we”, “our” or “us” in these rules). Where reference is made to “the Website”, we mean
2. The Competition is promoted through the material distributed at the various qualifying schools, as well as our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts (referred to herein as
“the Social Media platforms”) and the Website. You may obtain a copy of these Competition rules from the Website or at 3rd Floor Fairweather House, 176 Sir Lowry Road,
Cape Town, 7925.
3. You agree that these rules will apply to you when you enter the Competition.
4. Prize: There are 2 cash prizes of R 10,000 each (“Prizes”) available. Each Prize will be allotted to the winning entrant’s school. Importantly, the winning entrant themselves
are not entitled to this cash prize, despite being referred to herein as the “winner”. Winning entrants will win the cash prize for the benefit of their school only and will
not receive any prize themselves.
5. Duration: The Competition starts on 1 March 2023 00:00:00 and ends on 28 May 2023 23:59:59 (“the Competition Period”).
6. PLEASE NOTE: By entering the Competition you merely stand a chance to become the winner and win a Prize for your school and are not guaranteed to become a winner
and there is no guarantee that your school will receive any benefit.
Requirements to enter the Competition
7. Entrants must be permanent residents and citizens of South Africa who are from a school participating in the SANRAL Road Safety Education & Awareness Programme.
Any teacher from such a school can also enter to facilitate a joint submission for their class, in which case only the teacher will be a participant and not the individual scholar.
8. Entrants under the age of 18 require the consent of a parent or legal guardian to participate and share personal information.
9. Entrants must have a valid ID document.
10. The Promoters reserve the right to request proof that entrants have met the necessary requirements to enter.
11. To enter the Competition, entrants will be required to complete the blank pages of one of the comics delivered to participating schools. Entrants will then be required to
submit a photograph(s) of the completed blank pages on any of the Social Media platforms with the hashtag “#completethecomic”.
12. Entrants can submit as many versions as they wish with no limit as to the number of entries. The school of each winner, however, will only receive 1 Prize.
13. The prizes will be awarded to the winning entrants’ school(s), and no participant will receive any Prize. There are 2 cash prizes of R 10,000 each (“Prizes”).
Prizes are not transferable and the Promoters reserve the right to substitute the Prizes with another prize of similar value.
14. The winners will be selected by a committee of 5 judges (“the Committee”), established by SANRAL, comprising of:
1 SANRAL learning professional;
2 external learning professionals (with 1 professional possessing a PhD qualification in learning and development or similar); and
2 recognised comic industry professionals.
15. The Committee will choose the winners based on their absolute discretion, simply through deciding which comic strips they regard to be the best in their discretion, and will
also select back-up winners in similar fashion.
16. The Promoters’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into in this regard.
17. You will be disqualified as a winner if you:
a) do not meet all the requirements of these Competition rules;
b) are a director, member, partner, agent, employee or consultant of either Promoter or any supplier of goods or services in connection with the Competition, or any other
person who directly or indirectly controls or is controlled by either Promoter;
c) are the spouse, life partner, business partner or associate, or the natural or adopted parent, child, or sibling, of any of the persons specified in (c) above;
18. The winners of Prizes will be contacted over the social media site they entered from on or before 16 June 2023. If the Promoters are not able to successfully contact the
winners within 5 business days, despite reasonable attempts, we reserve the right to disqualify you as a winner and award the Prize to a back-up winner. The initial winner
and/or its school will have no claims against the Promoter where he/she does not accept the Prize within the time specified. Winners, once successfully contacted, will also be
announced on the Social Media platforms and the Website.
19. Once the winner has been contacted, they will be required to provide the Promoters with such personal details the Promoters request as well as the banking details of their
school. The Promoters retain the right to verify such information before a Prize is awarded.
20. Should any winner not redeem their Prize as directed by the Promoters within 3 months after first being notified that they won a Prize, their Prize will be forfeited.
21. Prizes cannot be transferred to any other person.
22. If any tax is payable on a Prize, the winners’ respective schools will be responsible for the tax payment.
23. The Promoters may require the winner and the family members (at no fee) to be identified, photographed, filmed and for this to be published in any media, subject to the
winner’s and family members’ right to decline participating in any such marketing activities. If a winner and any family member so declines, the Promoter shall not use or
publish any such information.
24. The winners will need to provide proof of identity and must sign documentation which includes the standard winner’s declaration form, to receive their Prize. The Promoter
reserves the right to refuse delivery of the Prize without the winner complying with these requirements.
25. We may also require additional information reasonably required to affect the Prize acceptance.
26. We may cancel or suspend the Competition or we may amend the rules, such as if a change in our situation or unforeseen circumstances result in us not being reasonably
able to continue with the Competition in its current form. We may also correct obvious errors. Should this happen for any reason, you will not have any rights to the
Competition and will have no recourse against the Promoters or any party working in conjunction with the Promoters on this Competition. If we amend these rules for any
reason, we will publish updated rules on the Website, which will be effective from the date of publication.
27. We provide the Prize “as is” and without any warranties. We therefore disclaim any liability incurred for any reason out of the Prize being awarded or used by you and you
indemnify us and hold us harmless from any damages you or a third party may suffer (including direct, indirect, and consequential loss) because of any action or omission
relating to this Competition and/or the award of the Prize.
28. This Competition and these rules will be governed by South African laws.
29. Any queries regarding the Competition must be directed to Niwe Gama at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 021 469 1760; or to Sean Flanagan at email@example.com or on 021 469 1760,
between 09:00 – 17:00 Monday-Friday.